PLANTATIONS


Hey Guys,   
                   NOLA (New Orleans, Louisiana) has been pretty rad. I'm still 90% sure the first place I stayed in was haunted. It was an old orphanage and then was set up as a place for unwed/widowed women during the yellow fever period. They're the two things you check off your list when you think a place is haunted, I'm pretty sure. 

Nola still has some damage from the hurricane, but I mean, it's still so nice. The french quarter is what you'd expect- french style houses. It's only 6x13 if I remember correctly and it's mainly filled with bars, bars and oh yeah, more bars. 
It has some pretty good restaurants and shops though. 

I've done some tours, did Karaoke (really badly) on Bourbon Street and went to check out some Jazz on Frenchman Street. I've seen the American Horror Story house, Cemetery (apparently it's cool because it's above ground and Nicolas Cage purchased a tomb or something there) and then the Garden District, lots of talented street performers and seen some parades down St. Charles.   

Today I went to the Plantations (Laura & Oak Valley.) If you're thinking one of them looks familiar, it's probably because part of Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained was filmed there. 





 The tour guild was saying that the last people to leave the 'slave' quarters (even though technically not, due to the civil rights movement) was 1977. Yeah. 1977. 
The massive tress you can see near the house/me are Live Oaks, called that due to the apparent moss always growing and that they're always green. Those trees are 300 years old and apparently live until they're 600.
Oak Valley was really pretty though, I mean, really pretty.
The tour guild was saying that the multi-colour houses represented that inside the language spoken was French and the white houses meant that the language inside was English, pretty interesting.





x Sarah




1 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah, the trip sounds like it is going great! Stay safe, love Karl :-)

    ReplyDelete

 

Click

W.M

“To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other and to feel. That is the purpose of life"

Meet The Author

I'm Sarah, a 24 year old communications graduate from Melbourne, Australia. I like dogs, netflix and avocado dip. I'm currently documenting my unplanned travels with the help of my iPhone, Canon Powershoot and friends.