GUAT


Hiya Everyone, 

So I'm currently in Xela, Guatemala! I've been here for a week and it's been an amazing experience so far. 


I took two flights to get to Guatemala City and the first one had everyone sitting down when we landed to the have the police come storming on to arrest someone. For what? Unsure. 
My second flight had me double booked so I had to wait until everyone was seated to find a spare seat. 


I was travellng for a while with Bede, from New Zealand and we hiked up volcano Pacaya. While up on Pacaya we looked across and saw Fuego errupt!! I've never seen anything like it. (Although apparently you can see small lava ones nearly every night!) The city of Antigua was placed under alert and all flights cancelled, I left the next day and to my knowledge nobody was evacuated.  



San Pedro is a small town on the lake, and there isn't much to do- but it's amazing to sit at a cafe, read and relax for a while, has a lot of spanish schools and decent restaurants too.

The hostels I've been staying at have all provided free filtered water which is great! Also unlike a lot of hostels in Bolivia, they also provide toilet paper. 

I think I'll do some Spanish lessons for a month in Xela and then see what I want to do, currently wanting to make my way down to Columbia to catch up with some friends by May/June but who knows. 

X SJ 

2 comments:

  1. Hola! Nice trip! I'm Mario from Guatemala. Now that you are in Xela you can climb one of the three volcanoes around the lake, the lake's view is amazing, totally worth it. I also recommend you to visit other places that might interest you, like Tikal, Antigua Guatemala, Semuc champey, Laguna De Lachua, and Hun Nal Ye. Those places aren't that close from where you are, but Guatemala it's a small country, so it's not a big deal. Hope you keep liking my country! Any further questions you can ask. Bye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mucho Gracias Mario!! Sorry for the late reply- I was not told you commented. I loved all your suggestions but did not go to Hun Nal Ye - next time! Guatemala was beautiful, loved the people and places.

      Delete

 

Click

W.M

“To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other and to feel. That is the purpose of life"

Meet The Author

I'm Sarah, a 24 year old communications graduate from Melbourne, Australia. I like dogs, netflix and avocado dip. I'm currently documenting my unplanned travels with the help of my iPhone, Canon Powershoot and friends.