LIMESTONE


Christina (Germany), Robyn (USA) and I headed up to the tropical climate zone of Guatemala, where Flores and the ruins of tikal are located. We made a small pit stop in Lanquin, where Semuc Champey is a 25 minute drive away. 


We stayed in a hostel out by a river, it's own little oasis called 'Utopia' (fitting) however with an oasis there is the issue of the food and tours are supplied, at a higher cost. However it wasn't extravagant and I had an amazing weekend. 

The hostel offered a Chocolate tour with the promise it would be some of the 'best chocolate you've ever tasted' and of course, who's going to deny trying that? Personally, it could have been a little sweeter.. but i'd say that about anything! 


It was super interesting to learn about the process of chocolate making. 
A real run down basic step list: 
1) roast cacao beans 
2) peel of shells, sift the shell-less beans of leftover bits. 
3) put in blended, blend. add sugar, blend. 
4) place in moulds. add different flavours (jam, coconut, walnut etc) pop into freezer. 
That's the basic 411 of how to make all natural chocolate. 



The following day we hitched a ride with the tour to the entrance of Semuc. We first walked up to the lookout (which is where I took that first photo of this post) which was a good 1(1/2) hour round trip. Later we threw our belongings into a locker and went for a walk through the lagoons. It really is one of the most natural wonders of the world.





The strangest part perhaps is that not a lot of tourists venture here,  either because it's a little off the track, time or perhaps it doesn't have a large enough section in the lonely plant. Regardless, I'm glad Christina pulled my arm and made me venture away from Xela to see some more of the wonderful parts in Guatemala!

I'll do a photo post of the tikal ruins in the next few days! 

SJ


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Click

W.M

“To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other and to feel. That is the purpose of life"

Meet The Author

I'm Sarah, a 24 year old communications graduate from Melbourne, Australia. I like dogs, netflix and avocado dip. I'm currently documenting my unplanned travels with the help of my iPhone, Canon Powershoot and friends.